Step one: a short hearing screen
While you’re in your local Specsavers store getting your eyes tested you may be offered a short test for your ears at the same time. This is only available in our stores that offer audiology and is absolutely free. If this indicates hearing loss, you will be encouraged to book in for further testing.
Step two: a free hearing check
Hearing checks at Specsavers are free and carried out by an audiology professional. During a Free Hearing Check our audiology professional will ask about your hearing experiences and perform a preliminary assessment.
The check takes around 15 minutes and will give you a good indication of the health of your hearing.
Step three: a hearing assessment
If further testing is required, you can book in for a $49 hearing assessment or you may be eligible for a free assessment through the Australian Government Hearing Services Program. This is a longer session where our audiology professional will perform a full assessment of your hearing and will be able to determine if you would benefit from hearing assistance.
Our audiology professional will discuss your results with you, and if you can be helped by hearing aids, they will explain the range available to you at Specsavers.
The hearing assessment will take around an hour and you are welcome to bring a friend or family member with you.
What if I need hearing aids?
- A solution to meet your needs: If you need to wear hearing aids, our qualified audiology professional will explain the range of aids that are suitable for you.
- Moulding your ear canal: They may also take a mould of your ear canal, so that your new aids fit properly. This takes five minutes and is completely painless.
- Fitting your hearing aids: It can take up to two weeks for your hearing aids to be made and your fitting appointment will take about 45 minutes. At your fitting appointment, we will show you everything you need to know about your new hearing aids and answer any questions you or your family may have.
- Follow up: Once fitted, a follow-up appointment will be booked within four weeks to check that you are completely happy with your purchase and make any necessary adjustments to your hearing aids.
- Annual check: We also recommend an annual checkup where we reassess your hearing and make any necessary changes to your hearing aids.