Help and frequently asked questions

What is astigmatism and how can it be corrected?


A person with astigmatism has an unevenly curved cornea - the clear covering of the front of the eye - or unevenly curved lens inside their eye, shaped more like a rugby ball than a football.Imagine a rugby ball sliced in half along its longest part. The cut surface is an oval shape, and you place the cut surface flat on a table. Imagine you are looking at it from its pointed end - the sides curve up steeply. Imagine you are looking at it from halfway between the two pointed ends - the sides curve much less steeply. This is an exaggerated version of the shape of the astigmatic cornea. It is corrected by spectacles with a cylinder shape built into the lenses at a certain angle. Contact lenses can also correct astigmatism - mild astigmatism can be corrected by an ordinary gas-permeable lens. Those who prefer a soft lens or have higher amounts of astigmatism can use specially designed 'toric' soft lenses.

Was this answer helpful?

We recommend you seek professional advice if you are concerned about your eye health

Book an eye test

Search for more answers: