Help and frequently asked questions

Why do I have a pain in the inner corner of my eye when I wear my glasses?


There are a few possibilities that can explain why you have a pain in the inner corner of your eye when you wear your glasses. The most simple explanation could be that the nosepad of your glasses needs to be adjusted. The nosepad could be pushing an eyelash into the corner of your eye. This could also cause your inner eye to become itchy, in which case you may want to visit your optometrist who can detect whether this is the cause. Often these fine hairs cannot be seen with the naked eye. Sometimes an ingrowing eyelash hair can be the cause, in which case it may need to be removed. Your optometrist will be able to give you more information on the subject. 

What are the symptoms of a scratched inner canthus?

The inner canthus is the area where your top eyelid meets your bottom. If you have accidentally scratched this area, it could be painful, particularly when pressure is placed on the area by your nose pads. Another explanation could be a tiny spot in the area irritating your eye or eyelid. If the pain does not subside over a few days, it is best to see your optometrist who can use specialised equipment to examine the eye in question and determine what the problem is. 

Do eye allergies cause pain?

If you are also suffering from sneezing and nasal congestion, the pain in your eye could be a result of allergies. Other symptoms to look out for include red, itchy, burning eyes and  swollen eyelids. However, most allergies will not cause any pain to your eyes, and at most will be nothing more than an annoyance. An over-the-counter antihistamine should help to relieve symptoms, but if they persist, see your optometrist. 

What are blocked tear ducts?

If your tear duct becomes blocked, it means your tears won't be able to drain normally, so your eyes will be left watery and irritated. This is most often caused by a partial or complete obstruction in the drainage system. In adults these are usually caused by an injury, blockage or tumour. See your doctor or optometrist if you have any concerns as they can use specialised equipment to work out what the problem is.